For nearly 250 years, the United States of America has been a source of inspiration, evoking boundless possibility and hope for a better future. Despite our flaws, we have always been striving to form a more perfect union — a shining city upon a hill, a beacon of light to the world.
But today, America is a nation divided, torn apart by a culture war that is shifting our allegiance away from each other and the noble ideals we have cherished. If we lose what used to unite us, the world will lose something precious.
We can prevent the destruction of our country, but only if we put aside our divisions and come together in a renewed commitment to basic American values:
- Freedom — the right of individuals and communities to pursue happiness according to their own choices, without harming others.
- Democracy — a government chosen by the people through free and fair elections.
- Equality — that every American should be treated equally, regardless of race, gender, religion, or other attributes of diversity.
- The Rule of Law — that everyone is subject to laws that are made for the good of the people as a whole, and that no one is above the law, no matter their status or position.
- Civic Virtue — that we aspire to high ethical standards in public affairs, prohibiting corruption and choosing leaders who will be public servants rather than exploiting their position for private gain.
Both sides of the political divide have departed from these values. On the left, freedom is threatened by federal government overreach. On the right, democracy and civic virtue are undermined by a dangerous demagogue and his followers. On both the left and the right, equality and the rule of law are under assault by identity politics and mob violence.
It doesn’t have to be this way. As Americans, we can do better!
Together, we can restore our nation to become the special place in the world it was meant to be — an example to the nations of how diverse people can live together in peace, rather than as opposing tribes competing for supremacy.
Many Americans fear the splintering of the country and a second civil war — and the events leading up to the 2020 election and its aftermath provide much reason to be worried. But we can avoid this terrible fate if we unite around a vision that combines the best of liberal and conservative ideals: a free, democratic, pluralistic society where all individuals are treated equally and our laws and ethical values are respected.
Explore American values: Freedom →
Coming soon — An inspiring new book about America!
Our Great Nation:
The America We’ve Lost and How to Rebuild It Together
Click here to read excerpts and learn more!